Friday, May 24, 2013

Skillet Dinners



So if you come by for dinner on any given night you will probably be served a variation of on of my skillet dinners.  I love these because they are so versatile, easy, and quick. 
So I really don't have a real recipe because like my granola this turns out different every time which is why I can serve it so often... Here's a picture of the one I made the other night.

So obviously start with a skillet... This can be cooked on the stove as I did or over the campfire.  It makes a great camping meal..
Here's what you need.
Starch- potato, pasta, rice, ect..
Meat- pork, beef, chicken, turkey, goat, elk, you get the idea. Probably anything but fish will work well, Ground or cut into bite sized pieces. 
Veggies!  just about anything you have on hand. fresh, canned, frozen however you have it.
Seasoning

The one above was made with Pork chops cut up and because you are using so many things in it you can get a way with 1 pork chop to feed a crowd.  The above fed my family of 4 with leftovers. 
Cook your meat first and add potatoes next if your using them.  Pasta or rice can be added later or cooked separate to add at the end. 
So back to what I made above.
I used
1 pork chop
2 potatoes
1 onion
1 can corn
1 can spinach
1 can green beans
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, oregano all to taste.

I always cook the meat, potatoes, and onion good first then add the veggies until it's all hot.  Sometimes we top with cheese.  Serve alone  or with a bread and you have a meal! 
This is truly a use your imagination!  I've put pasta with tomatoes, veggies and Italian seasonings to make a great dish.
When using pasta I tend to use spiral, macaroni, or rigatoni types that I add toward the end with extra water cover and let cook.
This is really a healthier hamburger helper type meal!
The cost varies depending on what I use but really it never costs me more than $10 to feed us all.
Get creative and let me know what you come up with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment