Friday, March 14, 2014

Seeds Galore!


So I think I have all the seeds I need for this years garden.  Most of these seeds I bought this year, some are from last year, and some are from a seed swap. 
In working to plan the garden I found I wanted a way to see what I had with out digging out all these seeds every time. As you see I out grew my little box that holds my seeds.  So I had to come up with a different method. 
I made a spread sheet with all the seeds listed on one side, a column for how many seeds/Packets, when I got them, and where they came from. 
I made a second spread sheet with the same list of seeds that is labeled Plants to keep track of what I plant.  (I didn't take a picture of the plant list)

This has been invaluable in keeping track of what I have and need.  I saved it and used pencil so I can easily update it as needed.  Each year I can revise my list and add any varieties I acquire.

Now for where I got seeds.  If you check out this post you'll remember our trip to Baker Creek. I bought a majority of our seeds from them again this year.  We are striving to plant only heirloom, organic seeds and they are a great source. 

Next we did pick up some seeds from the company White Harvest.  They had them at a local store we were in and they too deal only in heirloom seeds.  They are a bit smaller than Baker Creek so they don't have the selection on variety but I found they tend to me a little cheaper on what they do have. They do have all the basics and are a great place to start. 

Lastly, we attended a seed swap.  That was a neat event where area gardeners who all grow heirloom seeds got together and shared what they had.  The just brought in seeds they had packaged up and put them on a table and everyone walked around chatting and picking up what they needed. No money involved!  Not even really a trade as it was just a take what you need and leave what you have.  We didn't have much being our first year to this event and it didn't matter.  We were encouraged to take what we needed and to bring in seeds next year.  What a way to help each other out. And it was a room packed with those who knew.  They were all willing to answer and share their knowledge. It is sure to become a yearly event for us.

Each year I will collect seeds from our own garden and buy less.  Eventually, we hope to not need to buy seeds but be able to plant from what we grow.

So we have seeds now to get planting. Many we will be starting somewhat indoors. Many will be going into the cold frames that are almost done.....  So stay tuned :) 
 How's your garden planning going??

No comments:

Post a Comment